If there's a link on this page, please assume it's an affiliate link. We earn a small percentage (at no cost to you) if you purchase an item from the link you click. This is how we keep the lights on. Thanks. See full disclosure here
Start Finishing by Charlie Gilkey
I don’t know about you, but I’m really good at starting, it’s the finishing part that snags me up. If I have too many roadblocks, I’m outta there and on to the next “start.” This book came at a perfect time for me. I started a project that had weeks worth of roadblocks, and I was at a point of quitting. It wouldn’t be the first time. Hopefully with the help of this book, you’ll get to finishing more often.
Productivity Meets Purpose—Discover a Powerful 9-Step Method to Start Finishing the Work That Matters Most
How much of your time and attention lately has been focused on things that truly matter to you?
Most people’s honest answer is: not enough.
Everyone is buried by busywork, responsibility, distraction, and fatigue.
The joy-producing, difference-making ideas are waiting for when the time is right, when the current project is over, when they have a little more money, when the kids are grown, or when they get a more understanding boss. They are waiting for someday.
The trouble is someday never comes on its own.
Start Finishing presents a 9-step method for converting an idea into a project by addressing the challenges you’ll face and getting the project on a reality-based schedule.
The book will teach you how to:
• Practice the five keys that lead to self-mastery
• Build your success pack of supporters, guides, peers, and beneficiaries
• Keep working through the thrashing that comes with any project that matters to you
• Chunk, link, and sequence your ideas down to doable parts
• Use the Five Project Rule to prioritize your daily schedule and be at peace with the work you choose not to do
• Fly through drag points—how to deal with head trash, no-win scenarios, and other people’s priorities
• Heatmap your schedule so you do the right work at the right time
• Overcome cascades, logjams, and tarpits—the three ways projects routinely get stuck
• Finish strong—celebrate, review, and ride the momentum to your next goal
You are not incapable, wired to struggle, or fated to be unable to get your act together. With a few key steps, you can change the way you show up, how you plan, and how you respond when things get tough.
You can Start Finishing the work that matters most to you.
Includes original contributions from Seth Godin, Susan Piver, Jonathan Fields, James Clear, and many other teachers.
Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter to find out about next month’s book selection.
If you have suggestions for future Jamie’s Book Club books, leave them in the comments. Keep in mind that we will only have books on productivity, self-improvement, time management, and similar subjects.